Sunday, November 20, 2011

Taste of Nashville, Issue 14

It's been a while since our last Taste of Nashville post, but alas, the time has come to write another. I'm really excited about this post, because it's about mexican food - my very favorite type of comida (that's spanish for 'food').

First, I'll share that Brandon and I have started our New Year's Resolution early - On November 1st, we decided to begin a healthy eating diet. Our rules are no sweets, no soda, and less carbs. Brandon's diet is even stricter because he started P90X, which has a high-protein diet associated with it. The main reason for our early resolution is to begin to feel good about ourselves again. Tasting Nashville is fun and yummy, but it put the pounds on more than we would have liked :)

Once a week (on Sundays), Brandon and I have a cheat meal - we still follow the no sweets, no soda rules, but we're a little easier on the carbs. This week we tried a mexican restaurant near our church in Mount Juliet. If you've been reading our posts, you know how difficult it's been for us to find authentic mexican food in Nashville - many 'mexican' restaurants are tex-mex or gourmet mexican and those just aren't nearly as good. Today we ate at El Comal and we were very pleased with every aspect of our meal.

One of the most important aspects of a mexican meal is the taste of the chips and salsa (especially because it's the first thing you taste)! Brandon and I don't care for salsa that is too spicy or sweet, but instead like a simple tomato, onion, and cilantro salsa. El Comal's salsa was sooooo good! The chips are important too - they need to be just the right thickness. El Comal's chips were bordering the 'too thick' point, but they were served warm and the delicious salsa made up for it. We also ordered the white cheese dip and it was amazing!

Brandon always orders a chimichanga for his meal and when I can find my favorite, chilaquiles mexicanos, I order that. Luckily for me, El Comal had this dish! Both Brandon and I were extremely happy with our meal and we're happy to finally find a mexican restaurant that we enjoy. It's still not as good as El Vaquero (my favorite mexican restaurant in Columbus, Ohio), but it's darn near close!

That's it for this Taste of Nashville - I'm glad we could finally get another one posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment