Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Two Week Update

It seems I'm getting worse and worse at updating our blog. I have no good excuse - I simply haven't made time to write. This post will serve as an update from our Christmas and New Year (including my resolution!!).

As you know, we visited Ohio for about six days for Christmas. We had many plans, including meeting up with friends that we haven't seen since moving to Nashville. Our time in Ohio always goes WAY too fast! Because of that and a little mishap Brandon had while exercising (he pulled a few muscles in his lower back and was laid out on the couch for the last 48 hours of our trip), we didn't get to see everyone we had hoped to - many apologies to those friends! We did get to spend a lot of time with family and we are thankful for that.

I baked more cookies this year than ever before and also co-cooked Christmas dinner. My family wanted a few of the recipes, so I've included those in this post as well. Usually I have help baking and cooking from my dad's lovely girlfriend, Patty. This year was a bit different though because just a few days before Christmas Patty had a small accident that caused her to shatter three bones in her foot and fracture her ankle (ouch!). Patty was a trooper and helped out as much as she could though! I wish I would have taken pictures of all the cookies we made & decorated, but I was too busy in the kitchen to think about doing that!

Brandon and I returned to Nashville on the 26th because I had to be back at work on the 27th. It was a bit difficult to get into the swing of things again, but we're both fully adjusted to home and work life now. The residence halls at Belmont opened on the 1st and my staff came back on the 31st to prepare. Because of this, my staff and I spent New Year's Eve together as well as New Year's day. There may have been more ideal ways to spend these holidays than working, but I really cant complain. I have an amazing staff of six college females and am so thankful for all their hard work that makes my job easier. They have great personalities and because I had no choice but to work on these days, I'm glad I was able to do so with them by my side!

New Year's Eve is also Brandon's birthday. Because I had to work the evening of the 31st, we celebrated his 25th birthday earlier in the day. His big present was one he'd been saving up for - a piece of equipment for recording music. We also ate chinese (Brandon loves chinese food), saw the new Sherlock Holmes (it is AMAZING) and hung out with our friends Jenn and Kevin.

Ok - now it's time for yummy recipes!

Haystacks Recipe: http://www.joyofbaking.com/WhiteChocolateHaystack.html

This website is where I got the inspiration for the haystacks,  but instead of using white chocolate, I use yogurt coating. You can find yogurt coating in the baking aisle of your grocery store, usually near the chocolate chips. As far as measurements, I eyeball everything - but don't worry, you can't really go wrong. These haystacks are always the first things to go because everyone loves them and eats them quick!

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookie Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-rolled-sugar-cookies/

This is the best sugar cookie recipe I've ever tasted. Every time someone tries these cookies they compliment them! It's the only sugar cookie recipe I use now.

Sweet Potato Casserole: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-sweet-potato-casserole/

This recipe is great, but not quite sweet enough as is, so I add 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the sweet potato mixture. I also double the recipe for the topping. Even the kids ate this!

Judging by my recipes, I suppose I had a sweet tooth this past holiday season :) If you use the recipes, let me know what you think! I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

That's our update for now. But, before signing off I need to tell you my New Year's resolution! Keeping up with the blog is something I desire to do, but need to make time for. So, I resolve to be more intentional about this blog and write at least one post a week. This is a big commitment given my crazy work schedule, so I need you to hold me accountable!! And if you share your resolutions, I'll do my part in holding you accountable too! Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment